Last updated on 21 févr. 2022

First contacts

  • For any questions regarding your registration at the CIEF, you can contact the Secrétariat
  • Any questions about university life, the campus, cultural life and leisure activities in Lyon? The CIEF Events Service is at your disposal to provide you with all the information! You can write to us at:
Welcome to Lyon !!


Apply for a visa / resident permit

All students from a country outside the European Economic Area must obtain a visa to be able to come to France:

  • Student Visa bearing this information: Temporary Resident Permit, or "APS" (Autorisation provisoire de séjour). Valid from 4 to 12 months. In this case, you cannot advance your plans. With this visa, you cannot work, housing assistance or extend your stay in France.
  • Student Visa bearing this information: CESEDA R311-3 6° also called the VLS-TS: Long-stay visa equivalent to a Resident Permit.
    In this case, you must validate it on your arrival in France, within 3 months. If you are an Algerian national, you report directly to the Prefecture. The procedure is on-line on this website for Foreigners in France.
  • New: Since April 7, 2021, on-line visa applications :

For questions concerning the renewal of the Resident Permit, the summer receipts and the orientation towards the internal services of the University, you can contact the International Students Office (BEI) located at the Students’ Centre (Portes des Alpes Campus) throughout the academic year.
Guide for international students

Find even more information in the international student handbook : International student handbook

Prepare your budget

An average budget of around €850 per month is required to live properly in Lyon.
In order to compare the cost of living in France with that of your country, here are some examples of prices as an indication :

  • Third-party insurance : €25-30 / year;
  • Rent : €400-600 / month;
  • Electricity, gas, water : €30 / month;
  • Transport subscription : – minus 28 years old: €25 / month; +28 years: €65 / month;
  • Meal at the university restaurant : from €3.25;
  • Grocery shopping : around €200 / month;
  • Phone / internet : €20-40 / month.

Remember to start up your cell phone before arriving in France in order to benefit from lower rates.

Find your accomodation

It has become difficult to find rental accommodation in Lyon in recent years. This is the reason that we invite you to start looking for accommodation as soon as you have received the acceptance email from Lumière Lyon 2 University.

How to find accommodation, which types of accommodation are available and what are the procedures to follow once you have found accommodation?
To help you in your search for accommodation : Download the 2020-2021 Accommodation Guide

To find a job

Depending on your situation, there are restrictions on the right to work during your studies. Find out more

Health and insurance

International students can benefit from French social security while studying in France. They can also take out additional health or mutual insurance. Find out more

Come to Lyon

The City of Lyon is accessible by several types of transport.

  • By plane : Lyon Saint-Exupery International Airport is located 25 km from central Lyon. The Rhônexpress tram service connects the airport to the city centre in less than 30 minutes. Rates :
  • By train : Lyon is accessible by train from all major cities in Europe. The Lyon Part Dieu and Lyon Perrache stations are located in the city centre, while the Lyon Saint-Exupery TGV station is located 25 km from Lyon.
  • By Bus : Lyon is also accessible by bus. A Paris-Lyon bus ticket will cost you on average €25.
    There are reduced-cost bus lines:
Getting around Lyon

Lyon and its metropolitan area have a complete public transport network including buses, underground tube lines, trams and bicycles.
If you are between 18 and 27 years old, you can benefit from a preferential rate for the purchase of tickets or the monthly TCL subscription.

Lyon has a self-serve bicycle system that you can use occasionally or for your daily trips, by subscribing to the service.

Open a bank account

It is recommended to open an account in a bank in Lyon, because this will facilitate your application for housing assistance (CAF), a Residents’ Permit, payment of bills, etc.
Check with your bank because it may have partnerships with a bank in France.
Opening an account is usually free and many banks offer credit card and checkbook fees for the first year of the account's operation.

The documents required to open a bank account are:

  • an identity document (passport);
  • proof of address in France (rent receipt, gas bill, etc.);
  • a student card or school certificate for possible benefits;
  • Resident permit or visa.